Friday, December 26, 2014

The Top Five Gadgets You Should Get In The New Year!! - Part 1

The end of the year always gets me thinking, not really about what I can do better in the coming year or things like that, but about deeper, more meaningful stuff. Like what gadgets I should get (or more likely, lust at longingly) in the year coming up. But since I already seem to have exhausted my quota for the next year (more on that later), I decided to take a look around and take stock of the gadgets around me and how useful they have been. Sure, I have bought the odd crappy tech thingamajig here or there, but this here is my Top Five list of electronic gadgets that I think you should have, come 2015.

5. A Fitness Tracker

The Why: Because the doctor says you have to be active in order to remain healthy. While science is still undivided on the whole 10,000 steps per day thing, it is logical that any activity that we do will only keep us healthier (yes, I can't believe I AM saying this). But I was still sceptical till my wife pestered me in to picking up a Fitbit Flex Activity and Sleep Tracker for her while in the US (it's available for $99 there, as opposed to Rs.9,500 in the above Flipkart posting). It was not until she started using it regularly that we started seeing a difference. The Fitbit allows you to see exactly how many steps you have done and distance have covered and innately, challenges you to do better every single day, subtly getting you to be more and more active every day.



The Fitbit Flex vs. Google Fit app  - You get what you pay for!!
 
My Recommendation: I haven't tried out a whole bunch of trackers to give my full opinion. The Fitbit lasts about a week between charges, is comfortable enough to wear the entire day, waterproof enough to go swimming (that is a consideration for people who unlike me, know how to swim) and has a small LED display that shows how close / far you are from your target. Good enough for me. But if you want something cheaper and are feeling especially patriotic, why not try the GetActive range of Fitbit clones. Even more bare bones is this series of clip on pedometers which I picked up from Decathlon for my father-in-law (he now walks close to 4kms a day up from close to 1 at the beginning).

But if you are the sort who hate spending money and like carrying your phone around all day, why not try the free Google Fit app? It works remarkably accurately on my Nexus 4 and can track about 100 activities (for the life of me, I can't think of more than 5!!). Of course, you have to trust Google with your data (add that to your email and the rest of your life's data), have basic location services enabled (no GPS needed) and it won't give you distance walked or sleep tracking (like the Fitbit or GetActive does), but hey, it's free and it works!! On days when I know I have been lazy (and I will be lazy because some things don't change), I dread looking at the screen. Steps tracking has changed me (albeit slightly), but am just not sure if it's for the better.

4. A Powerbank

The Why: Because its literally a bank of power. Anxiety about battery life for the smartphones and tablets we carry around and reaching for the nearest charger has almost become second nature (for evidence, look for the groups of people hanging around the charging outlets at airports). I bought my powerbank (a nameless, nondescript piece) just the day before a long flight with boring stop-overs where I needed access to my phone. It proved a life-saver not only during the trip but on several other normal office-going days as well. In a world of dying phone batteries, the powerbank is a definite must-have.


My Recommendation: This is as generic a device as you can probably get. Having handled the Xiaomi Powerbank 10400 mAh (pictured above), I can tell you that it is a well-built capable and well-priced device (with the added distinction of being the one Xiaomi device which you can just go out and buy, unlike their phones). But its not the most portable device around which means it's one more thing which needs to be lugged around. My advice would be to shop around, depending on what your requirement is. If you are always going to be only a few hours away from the nearest charger, a more portable power bank with a smaller capacity (and size) should be sufficient. If you are the outdoorsy sort who treks over the weekend but needs his twitter and Facebook updated (hey, am not judging), then go for the Xiaomi. After all, its just a well-built battery with some electronic circuitry and usb ports thrown in, but it will reduce one cause of worry.

3. The Tata Sky HD Plus

Tata Sky HD+ has changed how I watch TV

The Why: Digital Video Recorders (DVRs) have been around for the longest time, but it was only around Feb 2013 that I happened to stumble on a gem of a product that Tata Sky has been offering in the Indian market since around 2011. Suffice to say, TV viewing has never been the same again. With the ability to pause live TV anytime (and rewind and fast forward the same), record programmes (and entire series) and also, watch one channel while recording another (or record 2 channels at once), who would ever go back to normal TV watching again. The ability to watch MORE TV has weirdly allowed me to spend more time doing other stuff that I love, safe in the knowledge that my tv program is recording at home, rather than centering my life around the TV schedule. It has also allowed me to discover a lot of new content which I can enjoy at my convenience without bothering about ads (I just fast forward past them). Seriously, if I had to stay awake every weeknight just to watch House M.D., I can't imagine having watched up to Season 8 already (on a side note, that dude is crazy!!) without missing a single minute. Add to this, the ability to use their Video on Demand channel to watch videos and movies for free and it all adds up to one great package.
 

Of course, all this comes at a cost which means that you are probably locked in to their services for the foreseeable future, but that's not turned out too badly for me thus far (fingers crossed!!). So while streaming live TV might be the future, the Tata Sky DVR should be the present for your TV.

Disclaimer: When I chose to shift from Hathway to Tata Sky, the HD Plus box was the only viable DVR option available in the market. Recent research indicates that Airtel has also launched a HD Recorder box as well which with 500GB of storage also appears quite competitive. As I mentioned earlier, I am quite happy with Tata Sky's service and have not checked out Airtel's offering at all.

So, that's the first part of my list of 5 gadgets which I think you will find useful. Let me know what you think.

5 comments:

  1. Dude, I am paying a heavy price for following your blog. Already ordered a Moto G and now browsing for a fitness tracker :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha... Thanks for reading, Amit.. Am sure you will like the Moto G (let me know how it goes for you).. Same goes for the fitness tracker as well.. My suggestion is to get one from the US if you know someone there...

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely CSK! Didn't kno U had a blog! Gr8 goin! :)

    ReplyDelete